Change Your MC/Email Password in myPassword
You must have a myPassword profile (security questions) set up before you can use myPassword to change your password. Refer to "MyPassword - MC/CUIMC Email Password Management" for information.
Whenever you need to change your MC domain (computer login) or CUIMC email account password, you can do so instantly online using the myPassword website.
Note: myPassword is only to manage MC accounts and CUIMC Exchange/Microsoft 365 email accounts.
Note: The 2-minute timer at the bottom of most pages in myPassword prevents others from changing information if you have left your computer unattended. When it runs out you will need to log in again. If you need more time to fill out the fields, click any blank area on the myPassword page to restart the timer.
To change your password on the myPassword website:
- If you have a smartphone or tablet connected to your CUIMC email account, please try to set it to Airplane mode before changing your password or it may lock your account by attempting to connect with the old, stored password.
- Go to https://mypassword.cumc.columbia.edu.
- The myPassword Self-Service page will appear. Please select the link to Change my Password, as shown in the image above.
- You will be asked to verify the Captcha. Enter the image you see in the picture (in the example below, the word is "mouth"):
- You will be prompted to enter your MC User Name, which is the first part of your CUIMC email address (usually your UNI).
- Type your desired password twice: once in the Password field, then in the Confirm field.
Remember, your new password must meet the following criteria:
- It must be over 8 total characters long.
- It must use a combination of upper and lower case letters.
- It must include at least one numeric and/or special character (& ? @ etc).
- It cannot be the same as any of the 3 previous passwords you used for this account.
- It must pass a check against a global banned password list. Avoid using common words and character substitutions (such as “@” for “a”) to meet this requirement.
- The password strength indicator bar (see image below) will tell you if you selected a good password. Try to create a password that shows as green, "Good".
- Note: Alternatively, you can have myPassword generate a good password for you if you click on the Generate button below the password fields. It's a good idea to have a random password generated this way first, then adjust it lightly so it's easier for you to remember.
- Select the Submit button to set your new password.
- You will see a message saying your password changed. You can now begin using your new password for both your MC domain account and CUIMC email.
- Don't forget to make sure your new password is updated on any smartphones and tablets that are connected to your CUIMC email account, and laptops or computers (usually off campus) that are manually mapped to a network drive.
If you need a password reset but did not set up your security questions in myPassword or are not able to answer them, you can submit the CUIMC email/MC account Password Reset form (use your UNI to log in if prompted). A technician will contact you to assist with the reset.