Getting Started for Students
The following steps can be taken before arriving on campus to help ensure quick access to CUIMC technical resources. The Student Computing at CUIMC and Remote Resources for Students pages have more information and help with available resources.
1. Activate your UNI
Your UNI (University Network ID) consists of a string of letters, typically your initials, followed by random numbers. UNIs are unique among Columbia students and affiliates. It is your username for many resources including wireless, Student Services, HIPAA training, online databases and journals, and discounts on IT Equipment and Software.
See our video tutorial for activating your UNI, or simply go to the Manage My UNI website to activate your UNI and select a password for it. Use the link to Activate Your UNI or Email and follow the instructions. If you do not know your UNI yet, there is a Find your UNI link on the Account Activation page (after accepting University policies). IMPORTANT:
2. Prepare your computer and mobile devices
Any computer or device using CUIMC resources such as campus networks, email, and other applications must:
- Have all of its current critical operating system updates.
- Be virus and malware-free with working, updated security software.
- If you will be on campus, set up the computer to connect to the campus networks.
- Mobile devices must be encrypted; note that configuring CUIMC email on a mobile device will automatically enforce this.
3. Learn about requirements, technical support and resources at CUIMC
- All new students will be notified to complete online Privacy and Security Training. This is an annual requirement and will need to be repeated every year.
- See Student Computing at CUIMC for information and answers about available resources and support.
- The CUIMC IT Service Desk provides first level technical support for CUIMC students, faculty and staff seven days a week. Aside from calling or emailing:
- Chat support is available Monday through Friday 9am to 5pm:
- Select Get Help from our main menu
- Select Login in the upper right (from a mobile device you may need to select Profile first) and login with your UNI account
- Click the chat icon in the lower right corner
- You can Schedule a Remote Support Appointment for technical assistance
- The Student Walk-in Tech Bar requires sign in via QR codes posted in nearby areas or the sign in computer at the Tech Bar.
- Please be sure to review all student support procedures and requirements.