Junk Email Folder and Settings
Checking Your Junk Folder
Look at your default Junk or Junk Email folder regularly to ensure that messages you do want haven't been filtered by mistake. The junk folder is under your main mailbox heading in the left column of Outlook and Web Outlook. You may need to click the caret (arrow) to the left of a label in the Folders list to see your full list of Folders.
A number to the right of the Junk folder indicates how many messages it contains.
To move a message out of the Junk folder:
- Click on it and drag it to your Inbox or another folder, or right-click on a message and use the menu that appears to move it.
- To prevent messages from a sender from being sent to your Junk folder in the future, see "Using Block and Safe Sender Lists" below.
To permanently move a sender out of the Junk folder, so you get them in your inbox:
- Locate the email in your junk folder
- Right-click (on a Mac, you can use ctrl-click) on the message to bring up the menu
- Click on the "Not Junk" option
- In the "Mark as not junk" window, make sure the "Always trust email..." option is checked to get future messages from the sender in your inbox
- Click "Ok"
To permanently delete messages in the Junk folder:
- Select an individual message and click on the Delete (trash can) icon in the upper menu, or right-click and select Delete.
- To quickly delete all messages, right-click on the Junk folder itself and select Delete All or Empty Folder.
Junk Mail Settings
Please use the instructions on Microsoft's website:
- Outlook on Windows - Overview of the Junk Email Filter (general information) and Block a mail sender, which includes steps for marking senders as safe to prevent messages from being sent to your junk folder.
- Outlook on Macintosh no longer offers advanced junk mail settings, however, you can adjust them using Web Outlook.
- Web Outlook - Block or allow when you are logged in to your CUIMC email via Web Outlook.